11.17.2010

Labor of Love

Isn't she cute? Even if I do say so myself !




This was my inspiration. Actually you are looking at the back since I removed the front pieces to make patterns. I do plan on reattaching them! My best friend Cary's grandmother made many of these stockings during the 1960's. She made them for all of her family.She also sold them at a major department store in the area . I always admired Cary's mantle at Christmas adorned with these adorable labors of love. She was generous enough to share this extra one so that I could make patterns from it. So began my labor of love !




Some of the patterns are my own and hold some significance to the person that particular stocking is made for. These were Maddie's pets at the time she was born.




It took me nearly a year working on and off to finish. I have yet to add the names,though each person knows their own stocking. Well, that's only partially the truth......the real reason I hadn't added names was I sensed my new son-in-law was not a keeper ! Remember these were a labor of love. Let's just put it this way, I made the right choice and no love is lost here !





My hope is that my granddaughters will one day hold these dear to their hearts and know the love that went into them.









We were so blessed to have Snow White drop by tonite. She had a great idea to roast marshmallows on a spoon outside of the fireplace screen! Isn't she just precious?







3 comments:

Life in Rehab said...

Wow, those turned out so retro-cool. I love that you personalized them for each family member; you have an heirloom in the making.

Send me your real email if you have a moment.

Unknown said...

Great job, I love them.
Also, Snow White is so ingenious.

Sue from Ky. said...

I can't believe it. I finally found you. You showed up on my list of followers, but I could not locate your blog until today.So glad I did.
My grand daughter has that same dress. As a matter of fact, I think she has every Princess dress made. She is about to out grow that stage though. She told me last weekend,"You know Meemaw, I'm no longer interested in a lot of the things I use to like."I told her that's because she growing up.She will be a very mature 10 on the 15th of next month.
And by the way,I have always used that phrase about Fried Apple Pies.They are a Labor of Love. I keep thinking I will master them someday,since Pop loves them so, but for some reason, they don't get to the forefront of my list of most important things to do.I know. That's selfish in me.Maybe I'll give them a try Sunday.